Asbestos is used in building homes in the year 1980’s to 1990’s. But some safety hazards have been identified in the late 1990’s resulting to banning the products in the United States and United Kingdom. Studies show that it’s the cause a certain type of cancer. But asbestos removal is difficult if you don’t know how to identify the fibre. There’s two way of identifying asbestos. You can ask a Calgary asbestos abatement company to help you or you can check on these steps to identify it yourself.
- Remove a Sample
You can start asbestos removal Calgary by cutting a square inch of the plaster from the wall or ceiling. But you need to observe safety precautions before doing this. You can do the following.
- Wear a mask to avoid inhalation of asbestos fibers.
- You can wear gloves to avoid direct contact.
- Limit activities inside the room to avoid spreading fibers.
- Turn appliances off.
- Use few drops of detergent mist to reduce the release of asbestos fibers.
- Keep Sample in a Plastic
Put the sample in a clean lock bag or plastic container. Before hiring a company for Calgary asbestos abatement services label the container with the date and place where you get the sample.
- Look for Asbestos Lab
There’s only one way to make sure that it’s asbestos, you need to look for at the nearest asbestos lab in your area. Here are some ways how to get in touch with an asbestos testing lab.
- Ask the help of an asbestos abatement company. Their line of work makes them the best source in looking for a testing lab.
- You can search the internet. Accredited labs are available in online directory listing.
- You can also check out International Asbestos Testing Laboratory.
- Just simply run a search of ‘asbestos lab testing’ in your search engine.
- Follow the Instructions
It’s important to follow instructions. It doesn’t matter whether you get your choice of testing lab from Calgary asbestos abatement services or the internet. Most laboratories need you to complete a form before submitting your sample. Print and complete the form then submit it to the right address together with the payment.